Monday, August 23, 2010

Great places to eat! (Or, in some cases not so great...)

So, since we've moved here we have had the chance to eat at some really great restaurants! I will try to remember them all....

Ok, so this first one isn't exactly in Austin but it is about 45-50 miles away (if you live in South Austin) on the outskirts of San Antonio, it is called Silo. It is an amazing little hole in the wall with the most amazing food! When you enter the building you are on the bottom floor you can walk into the bar and grab a fantastic cocktail or take the elevator to the second floor and be seated by the hostess. We went on a Saturday night and were able to be seated right away. If you check out opentable you can make a reservation as well. So, anyway, we were seated right next to the glass wall so we could look down into the bar. I ordered a Cosmo for starts...made perfectly! Then, we skipped the appetizer, there wasn't anything that really suited our palate. For dinner, I had a stuffed grouper and hubby had a delicious steak! You can check out their menu here. They also have a Prix Fixe Menu which is always nice so you can stay on budget! :) Dessert was a to-die for creme brulee with fresh berries! It was an amazing find, especially since we just happened upon it during a drive to explor the area!

Another great place to eat, but go there knowing you will wait a while is Manny Hattan's. Now, I don't mean you'll wait to be seated because we didn't have to wait (of course we went on a weekday) but it will take a while to get what you order. You see, when you go there, you are going to order the fried chicken and waffles. Yes, diets go out the door. I ran and did p90x the day we went there simply because I was warned it was a carb fest. But, it was the most delectible carb fest I had ever had. Fried chicken, waffles & syrup, mac'n cheese & green beans. Probably one of the best meals I've had in Austin. Can't wait to go back soon!

One place I took hubby to for an excellent steak over Valentine's weekend was Mesa Ranch North.  Now, we went there a while ago so it is hard to remember what we ordered; I know hubby got a Ribeye. I want to say I got shrimp possibly...not sure though. I do remember I was served a humongous martini however. It was awesome! The only bad thing I would have to say about this place is that the crowd is an older crowd. We didn't see anyone our age there unless they were dining with parents, and then I do believe they were much much much younger than us! :) But, regardless of crowd age, the food was great!

For Valentine's dining we went to Cool River Cafe. The ambiance was amazing. It was a full house, but we were seated right away for our reservation, they had fires going in the multiple fire places, & even though the dining room was full of diners it was surprisingly quiet. We were able to talk and really enjoy our Valentine's dinner, which was a real treat because we hadn't seen one another in about two months! Hubby, I am pretty sure got another ribeye...are we noticing a trend? At the end there will be a quiz, "What is Mark's favorite food?" I however, got bacon wrapped shrimp! They were fantastic and cooked to perfection! After that we got chocolate cake! I love chocolate so this was a fantastic way to end a romantic dinner.

Ables on the Lake wasn't our intended stop when we wound up eating there! We were originally going to go to Hula Hut next door, but changed our minds and went for Abels. The indoors was underconstruction when we were there so we had to eat out doors, which during a Texas fall was a wonderous experience! The atmosphere was very family friendly & football was going on the televisions. We were sitting over the Lake (I don't know which lake, I would assume Lake Austin), there was a gorgeous view and it was just the three of us spending some awesome family time together. The food was just regular american faire, nothing too notable, but it was good. The atmosphere completely made the whole trip worth it!

A place we went to on New Years Eve is Eddie V's at the Arboretum. For the price, the food was mediocre. We didn't really enjoy it and it was over crowded. We had a reservation, had to wait about half an hour past our reservation, wound up being seated at the bar and paid too much for food that wasn't amazing. This is one place we will not be going back to.

The Oasis is a restaurnt we found out about from my aunt who sent us a clipping from Southern Living Magazine. The atmosphere is amazing. Quiet, great view; however, the food for the price was abismal. We were completely underwhelmed and will only go back for drinks. For us, it is very much out of the way and I really expected more from all the rave reviews it got in articles we read in print and online. However, we were not impressed. Maybe it was an off day for the kitchen, I don't know. But, definitely not our cup of tea-food-wise. :(

Max's wine dive is one we tried to try...if that makes sense. We went there with some friends after work, but we hadn't made a reservation. So, we sat at the bar for a bit but wound up leaving because the wait for a table was just too long! We had waited over 40 minutes before we finally left. So, next time we go we will be making a reservation (& I will have some restaurant.com certificates in hand since I saw them on there!). But, we hung out and had some wine. I had a very sweet reisling that the bar tender recommended. It was awesome! Can't wait to go back and try the food.

Some quick joints we've tried are:
P. Terry's: My daughter and I went here the day we did all of our back-to-school shopping! The menu was very economically friendly and delicious! We got just one meal so we could split the fries and then I ordered a seperate burger. The shakes were amazing...but beware, if you want to eat the rest of the day skip the shake and go for water....as delicious as it was the calorie count in that thing was frightening!

Torchy's Tacos: Unique and delicious. I can't say anymore than that! I was able to get fried crab in a taco with fried advocado and all kinds of amazing veggies. That speaks for itself! Hubby on the otherhand gets some crazy concoction with half a cow in it and five pounds of cheese! My daughter...doesn't care for the place. We went to the one in North Austin, but I am hoping to try the one down by us in S. Austin soon!

Buger Tex: Let me start off by saying the location listed on this site is not the one we go to...so I have no idea if it is really there! The location we frequent is the one at William Cannon and 290/71. This is hands down my daughter's favorite restaurant so far! Burgers and fresh buns...it is fantastic!

Lola Savannah is a coffee shop my daughter and I tried just a couple of days ago. It is actually near 360 & Bee Caves next to The Grove (a wine bar). We had received in the mail a coupon for 2 free coffee drinks and 2 free pastries. Unlike most places who get irritated when you come in with a deal like that, they were very accomodating and let us pick whatever we wanted from the menu. They completely won us over! They will always be our first pick now for coffee. The atmosphere was awesome, the barista personnel were awesome, & best of all-the coffee was awesome!

Now, it is getting late and I wrote three end of course exam's today so my brain is becoming fried. These are all the local-ish places I can think of that we have tried right off the bat. Once I think of some more I will add them! :)

Oh, and if you know of any places we should try...leave a comment so we can add that to our list of "to dos"!

No comments:

Post a Comment